Another great option for having cake whilst on an elimination diet. I love how the butternut squash give the lovely orange colour, moisture and volume to the cake. The cinnamon with the cardamom give the muffins a aromatic spicy note without being over powering.
These free from -Butternut squash cinnamon cardamom muffins are great for breakfast, on the go or as a snack treat after the gym.
Makes: 5 muffins or a small one piece cake
Prep time: 25min-2hours in (depending on whether you have to bake the butternut squash first)
Cooking: 30min at 180 degree celsius pre heated oven (middle shelf)
Cooling time: 60min
- 80g Coconut flour
- 42g Almond flour
- 9g Baking powder
- 1/4tsp Cardamom
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- couple drops of vanilla essence – optional
- 1 tsp Xanthan Gum (works also without)
- 90g Coconut oil
- 225g Cooked Butternut squash
- 1 medium finely chopped apple
- 1-2 knife-tips Stevia-sweet 90% powder dissolved in 1 table spoons hot water
Note: getting the sweetness to the desired level is a matter of trial and error, the best thing is to start with a smaller amount of whatever Stevia you have on hand, it can be ready-use, liquid or tabs (need to be dissolved too), adding more is easier than diluting – you could end up with a huge amount of treat -Don’t have any Stevia yet? – you can always use normal sweetener products until you are set up.
- per-heat oven to 180 degree Celsius
- sift all flours into a bowl and mix well
- melt coconut oil over low heat
- blend cooked butternut squash with melted oil to smooth cream with the dissolved stevia-sweet extract
- mix all ingredients apart from the apple until you get a thick nearly dough like constancy.
- add in cut apples
- fill the dough into the baking pan or moulds
- bake 10min, turn, repeat until evenly gold brown
- place on cooling rack and then in the fridge, the coconut oil will go solid in the fridge holding the cakes together better
The muffins will last in the fridge for several days, that is if you can keep your hands of them – it’s hard!
Have you made any cakes with Butternut squash?