This cake was the birthday cake for my friend who is totally addicted to ginger honey yoghurt. I know I normally bake without Honey or Sugar but in this case Honey is essential to get the nice almond crust. I have tried making caramelised crusts with Stevia-granuels before which worked fine but since I am trying to replicate the Honey-Ginger Yoghurt idea – honey it was.
Makes: small 15cm diameter cake
Prep time: 25 min
Cooking: 28min + 15-20min for crust
Cooling time: 60-120min
- 6 medium separated eggs
- 50g melted Butter
- 80g Almond flour
- 1tsp (flat) ground Ginger
- sprinkle of ground Vanilla
- 1/4tsp Baking powder
- 1-2 knife-tips Stevia-sweet 90% powder dissolved in 1 table spoons hot water
Note: getting the sweetness to the desired level is a matter of trial and error, the best thing is to start with a smaller amount of whatever Stevia you have on hand, it can be ready-use, liquid or tabs (need to be dissolved too), adding more is easier than diluting – you could end up with a huge amount of treat -Don’t have any Stevia yet? – you can always use normal sweetener products until you are set up.
- prepare the Almond crust first and leave to cool.
- pre-heat oven to 180 degree celsius
- Whip the egg whites stiff with the stevia-sweet extract
- mix the egg yolks and the melted cooled butter until creamy
- mix all dry ingredients together in a large bowl
- add the dry ingredients to the egg yolk-butter mix, use electric mixer to combine
- add whipped egg whites in several parts, using electric mixer on low speed setting
- fill smooth and well combined mass into a cake-ring lined with grease proof paper
- bake for around 28min, turn tray around at half way point to ensure even browning. The cake will not be cooked fully, add the Honey Almond crust mass at this point.
- bake for further 15-20min turning the cake frequently to get even browning for the caramelised almond crust. (keep checking that it does not get too dark, burned Honey glaze will taste bitter)
- leave to cool before cutting into layers and filling with honey ginger cream
Almond Honey caramelised crust
- 70g flaked Almond
- 1tbsp double cream
- 40g Honey
- 30g melted Butter
- melt cream, honey and butter on low to medium heat in a pot
- stir in the flaked almonds
- leave to cool before adding on top of the cake and bake as described in point 9. above.
Ginger-Honey cream filling
- 450ml double cream
- 2-3tbsp Honey
- fresh grated Ginger to taste
- add ginger and honey into the double cream
- mix until the cream is stiff enough to stay on the cake, take care double cream quickly turns to butter if beaten too long.
Assemble the cooled cake by spreading ginger-honey cream on each base and stacking them up.
- the cake will keep several days in the fridge
- for freezing cut them into pieces, separate with greaseproof paper and defrost as required
Do you have a favourite Ginger treat recipe?